I've been in St. Louis for 2 years!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

What Happened to Happy Time?

So, I had an appointment today with an employment agency. I found the building pretty easy; not much traffic. Go inside the building and I look for suite 240. Well, suite 240 says some about 3 names and there are two doors. So, I peek through the windows and behind the receptionist there is a sign for another company. So I peek through a different window and its just a table and some chairs. I chose the first door. I was about to ask where I could find the company when I see a brochure for the agency and realize this company is in fact a few different companies. I am told to have a seat and someone will be with me shortly. As I am waiting there is one lady in yoga pants and tennis shoes and another in a lovely country teacher frock. Maybe I was the only one they told to dress professional.
Well, country frock lady is escorted into a small conference room and told to fill out some forms. She comes out a few minutes later and asks if she should keep waiting or come out. Stupid. Anyways, yoga pants is escorted to another room after asking the receptionist if the guy she is supposed to see will be ready soon. Then a few minutes later she comes out and just leaves but then calls to say she left but the receptionist tells her the guy she was meeting with is waiting for her so she comes back. Impatient!
So, then I finally get escorted to another room and am asked to fill out some tax forms and that she will come check on me in a few minutes. So a few minutes go by and I am just twiddling my thumbs and freezing my ass off and I start looking out the window and watching all the people in the apartment complex across the way. Weird people over there. Don't get a place there.
So, I finally get up and walk to a small table by the window that has some pamphlets and start reading and I glance at the phone and what do you know I have been sitting there for about 45 minutes. I decide to wait it out... that lasted about 5 more minutes and I leave the room and ask the receptionist if they have a bathroom. Well, what do you know, its a new receptionist. There in may lay the problem. And I come back and not even 2 minutes later my job finder person comes in the room. They forgot about me!
We have our little talk about my past jobs and I have to explain that my bosses from Motorola have left and well gee the LB is no more so my references are a little shady looking. Anyways, I go do my skill testing. I was hoping for something like Oregon Trail (remember that?) but nope I had to do Office Skills, MS Word and Excel and typing with a lady right next to me and another behind me whose phone kept ringing and then she would get up and call them back and it was annoying as hell! Ok, so then I'm done and I have to wait again to meet with my job finder person to discuss my skills and that's when she tells me why I should go through them. Seems a little strange, doesn't it? Shouldn't they tell you that up front?
But my point is (yes I have one) are there no Dolores Herbigs in the world? What happened to Happy Time?

4 comments:

Vicki Kunz said...

That's just sort of an irrisponsible company. It's pretty damn funny that they forgot about you. You could always hold that over their heads. Like if they want to send you to some really shitty job, you could refuse and remind them that they owe you all the good jobs because you were neglected in your interview process.

Vicki Kunz said...

I just wanted to add that I love your Dead Like Me reference. Herbig, like her big brown eyes. Oh, MILLY!!!

Anonymous said...

stupidheads! when i am rich i will run a company.. and i will hire you and not forget about you.. what would you like your job to be? internet casino lady? i can work something out.. just you wait..

KristenMay said...

Darrell-please never leave a free porn message on my comment section. Do not use this as free advertising. Anyone that reads this (there aren't many) won't be interested. Get a life.