Death By Cover Letter
I understand that cover letters are an important piece to the job hunting world. I have to admit, I never created one. I refused. I have tried in the past but I have always been defeated by writer's block. So, just yesterday I came across a perfect match for me. It is even for a technology consulting company. I raced to click 'apply now' only to spot the hated words, 'cover letter.' But I am a big girl now. I can write one. I know I can. Piece of cake. I simply found some templates online and began to fill in my information. My contact information along with the job information was easy. I even managed to write a whole first paragraph. And then I hit the second paragraph. WRITERS BLOCK! I don't understand why this has become so hard. I even stepped away from the computer and came back to it today but that was no help. Here is what I have so far. Let me know what you think.
Dear Ms. Baros,
I am writing to express my interest in the HR Coordinator position advertised on Monster. I believe you will agree that my qualifications match the criterion from the listing.
Hardworking, detail-oriented, multi-tasking top performer. If you want to hear more of my dazzling qualifications that will surely be a perfect match for your company, call me anytime. If fact, why don’t I stop in and we’ll have a cup of joe. I’ll buy!
Really, what will you read in my cover letter that my resume couldn’t already tell you? The point of a cover letter is to show that I took extra time to apply to work at your company. But if I have already created one I most likely would have just changed the information to better match this job position. So, in the end it really isn’t anything special.
I've been in St. Louis for 2 years!
Thursday, March 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh thank you for your votes of confidence. Alas, I didn't send this one but I did try to keep it light. Maybe thats why they haven't called! Bastards!
4566 Here to comment on your cover letter. I loved it, seriously, you should really try using it. You might find yourself in a new career!! I still think you should try stand-up, I could write with you on your material.
I agree that we need to use "dazzle" more. All of your comments were dazzling. And Anonymous, I bet you would make a dazzling co-writer!
Post a Comment