
Corn on the Cob Anyone?
So, I'm watching the History Channel and was amazed at the history of plumbing, especially the toilet section. I knew that early Americans used newspapers and before that the Sears & Roebuck catalog (before they were glossy) but I did not know that before that they used corn on the cob. Apparently they would soak it in water, use it then give it to pigs. What the??? I think I would have preferred leaves. Also, some early toilet paper had splinters in it! And the average person uses about 20,805 sheets of T.P. each year. I am so glad the the science of toilet paper has evolved.
Did you also know that it is reported that back in Roman time and again later that washing your mouth with urine (romans said early morning urine) it would whiten your teeth.
4 comments:
Whaaa?
{shaking head}
Oh wow, mike should know about this.... really... what did early plumbers do?
whooa..
OH MY GOD I TOTALLY WATCHED THAT!! I am so glad I am not the only dork that watched the History of plumbing on the History channel. That makes me happy. I was actually amazed when they were talking about the early froms of toilets and disgusted by the French (yet again) about how they used to throw their poop in the street. Stupid plagues!!
Ok see I thought I was losing it watching the history of toilets but its so good to know (like you said) that someone else was watching that!
Anyone else really disturbed by the urine mouthwash??? I don't think the Romans were particularly known for their shiney white teeth. Who thought of that? Honestly? It was probably some Ass playing a joke on someone and it seemed to stick. History is so crazy sometimes!
Post a Comment